If you are a committed, creative professional and are passionate about making a lasting difference for children, the world’s leading children’s rights organization would like to hear from you.
For 60 years, UNICEF has been working on the ground in 190 countries and territories to promote children’s survival, protection and development. The world’s largest provider of vaccines for developing countries, UNICEF supports child health and nutrition, good water and sanitation, quality basic education for all boys and girls, and the protection of children from violence, exploitation, and AIDS. UNICEF is funded entirely by the voluntary contributions of individuals, businesses, foundations and governments.
Digital Communication Officer (Social Media/ Youth Engagement), P-2, New York
for more info clickhere
Vacancy No: E-VN-2015-001091
Duty Station: New York
Country: United States of America
Region: NY HQ
Job Level: P-2
Application Close: 29-Jun-15
Contract Type: Long-term Staff (FT)
Purpose of the Position
Around the world children and young people are increasingly engaging with social media and digital tools – for recreation, education and empowerment. Because of this, UNICEF is further reinforcing its role in the interactive dialogue with and for these audiences, including but not limited to engaging and innovating through Voices of Youth (VOY), where UNICEF is committed to: giving children and young people a safe online space to learn, share their views and join in global discussions; giving children and young people resources and digital tools with which they can advocate and take action for change in their communities; understanding the risks presented by digital tools in new contexts; and promoting safe and responsible use of digital tools.
Under the guidance and supervision of the Senior Advisor of the Social Media Team, the incumbent of this post will contribute, through technical support and analysis, to the development of the strategic direction of digital youth engagement, serving as a focal point or coordinator on UNICEF initiatives where adolescents and youth are the primary target audience.
Under the supervision of the Senior Advisor of the Social Media Team, the incumbent of this post will also support in the oversight of Voices of Youth digital engagement initiatives, including VOY Citizens and VOY Maps.
Key Expected Results
Strategy and Innovation
1. Contribute to the strategic development of digital youth engagement as well as the Voices of Youth digital initiatives including Citizens and Maps.
2. Promote safe and beneficial use of innovative digital technologies for youth engagement and empowerment and lead on the project implementation of Voices of Youth Citizens.
3. Contribute advice on digital engagement with young people for UNICEF campaigns and initiatives.
4. Ensure Voices of Youth keeps up-to-date with trends in digital media among young people.
5. Support collaboration of youth engagement strategy for UNICEF with internal stakeholders.
6. Under guidance of supervisor, maintain growth of existing partnerships and support in identifying new partnership opportunities within UNICEF, the UN and outside of it, including the Digitally Connected (UNICEF/Harvard) network, to pursue a multi-stakeholder approach to youth engagement and to grow the reach of Voices of Youth.
7. Contribute to the development of a Voices of Youth strategy for partnership, community development, and communications opportunities and events, utilizing existing tools, resources and partnerships
1. Perform the functions and fill in for other colleagues when required.
2. Undertake other duties assigned by supervisor/s.
Qualifications of Successful Candidate
– A completed bachelor’s level university degree in Communication, Journalism, Public Relations or a related discipline.
– A minimum two (2) years of work experience in research (quantitative and qualitative), analytical writing and in communication, more specifically youth engagement and digital media.
– Experience in youth advocacy and rights based approaches.
– A solid understanding of UNICEF programmes and policy, including knowledge of youth participation and partnership goals, as well as sound interpretation and judgment to present these
programmes and policies in a way that enhances UNICEF’s image.
– Knowledge of current trends in youth participation and new media, as well as a good understanding of development issues, world affairs and current events.
– Relevant grass-root experience and field work is considered an asset.
– Experience in supporting and coordinating communication activities across a large organization and with other international partner organizations.
– Proven ability to conceptualize, plan and execute ideas as well as transfer knowledge and skills.
– Progressively responsible relevant experience in an international organisation.
– Strong writing and communication skills and the aptitude to tailor complex and technical messages for multiple audiences.
– Strong awareness of cultural sensitivities.
– Fluency in English (written & verbal) is required. Knowledge of a second UN language (i.e. Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian, Spanish) and/or the local language of the duty station is considered an asset.
Competencies of Successful Candidate
– Communicates effectively to varied audiences, including during formal public speaking.
– Able to work effectively in a multi-cultural environment.
– Sets high levels of quality and productivity for self.
– Demonstrates an awareness of changes in organizational strategy that impact on own work area.
– Makes people feel at ease and builds good working relationships with them.
– Makes a positive impression on other individuals in one-to-one settings.
– Demonstrates good skills and relevant knowledge in own area.
– Seeks and quickly absorbs new information and techniques.
– Sets clearly defined objectives and plans activities for self, own team or department.